We are excited to share that the Capacity Building Small Grant opportunity for current Best Starts for Kids partners is now open. This funding opportunity closes by 2:00 p.m. March 3, 2023. Please submit your application by then.
The purpose of this Request for Application (RFA) is to support community-based organizations (CBOs) that are current awardees of Best Starts funds. The small grants will support the infrastructure needed to enhance the CBO’s capacity to provide services and programming. This includes the systems, resources, and processes that sustain the key functions of an organization.
Applicants may request up to $9,999 in their proposed budget. The amount of funding awarded to each awardee will be determined during the application review. Eligible applicants will be limited to one award per organization.
Eligible applicants must have a current, Best Starts-funded contract. All currently funded Best Starts partners that are community-based organizations are eligible and encouraged to apply, and some priority may be given to Best Starts partners that have been operating for less than five years and/or are expanding services to a new geographic area. Applicants may only apply once.
How Best Starts partners can use small grants:
Examples of resources and items that could be supported by this funding opportunity may include, but are not limited to:
- IT equipment (such as laptops, tablets, electronic devices, software);
- Financial tracking systems;
- Project or program management software or platforms;
- Office equipment (furniture not included); and
- New or expanded subscriptions (such as online communication platforms).
- Consultation and professional services (except those currently offered through the BSK capacity building program. See below for details.)
Items that will not be supported by these funds include:
- Expenses such as payroll, rent, ongoing consumables, utilities, or other indirect costs associated with running the organization;
- Capital expenses like facility repairs, furniture, or property upkeep;
- Advocacy work;
- Capacity building services currently offered through the BSK Capacity Building program. This includes coaching, training, clinics and workshops on the following topic areas: equity and social justice, finance, human resources, organizational development, board development, marketing, legal, data & evaluation, needs assessment, and IT support. Awardees may work with their current capacity building partners to identify projects or infrastructure that can be funded through these Small Grants.
Check out the list of project examples on the last page of the RFA!
Period of Performance
The period of performance of any award resulting from this RFA will begin on the date that the award letter is emailed to the awardee. Funds must be spent within 90 days after the award funds are issued.
|RFA Release Date||February 1, 2023|
|RFA Information Webinar||February 8, 2023 | 2:00 – 3:00 pm|
|Last day to ask Questions||March 1, 2023|
|Applications due||March 3, 2023 | 2:00 pm|
|Review of Applications Begins||March 6, 2023|
|Notification of Selected Applicants||April 6, 2023|
Dates are subject to change.
If you are interested, you may submit questions in writing through the “Contact Admin” tab in ZoomGrants before March 1, 2023. The BSK response to questions received will be posted as an amendment on ZoomGrants.
For complete details, please view the RFA on ZoomGrants: www.zoomgrants.com/zgf/bskcbsg. If you experience technical difficulties with ZoomGrants, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org directly. Any other questions can be sent to:
Tiffany Ngo, Contract Specialist, DCHS Contracts and Procurement Unit
Applications must be clear, concise, written in English and submitted electronically through ZoomGrants in the order noted.
Applications shall be prepared simply and economically, providing a straightforward and concise but complete and detailed description of the Applicant’s abilities to meet the requirements of this RFA. Emphasis shall be on completeness of content.
Additional details that are critical to know, including application questions, reporting details, and more will be included in the BSK Capacity Building Small Grant RFA posted on February 1st as a PDF on www.zoomgrants.com/zgf/BSKCBS.
If you are a currently-funded BSK grantee and would like to access general BSK capacity building, please contact Jorji Knickrehm at email@example.com or at (206) 477-5702.