Communities of Opportunity is seeking King County community members who are committed to racial equity, partnership, and supporting community-led solutions to serve on the new/expanded Governance Group (GG)/Advisory Board for one-to three-year terms beginning in early 2022. The Governance Group provides strategic leadership, direction, and oversight to the COO initiative and is responsible for promoting COO’s mission, vision, and values, while serving as the COO-Best Starts for Kids Advisory Board with respect to the COO portion of Best Starts for Kids levy proceeds.
The Governance Group grounds it’s work in principles that reflects their commitment to equity, innovation, and community driven solutions. Along with being rooted in King County communities historically harmed by racism and oppression, COO Governance Group members have knowledge and experience in COO result areas of safe, affordable housing; health, economic opportunity; and civic engagement/community connection, and approach these issues with an equity and justice lens.
COO specifically encourages applications from King County residents interested in and committed to…
- supporting greater equity and justice in housing, economic opportunities, health, and civic power
- building sustained community power and community capacity
- making impactful systems, policy and environmental changes that center racial equity
- uplifting and sharing the wisdom of those most harmed by racism
- centering relationships and partnerships in strategies for transformational change
COO especially encourages Governance Group applications from individuals from communities most harmed by racism and oppression including, Black people, Indigenous people, individuals from sovereign tribal nations, individuals from communities of color, immigrants, refugees, disabled people, and LGBTQ+ people; especially those who have worked to build community power and organized within these communities.
The priority deadline for applications is 11:59pm on Friday, February 25. Application and related documents are below and here: www.coopartnerships.org/governance
For more information on Communities of Opportunity and our partners in community, visit our website, coopartnerships.org.
COO is also hosting a series of Governance Group / Advisory Board informational sessions with current & past Governance Group members. To attend, please register here.
Upcoming sessions are scheduled for:
- Friday, February 4, 12-12:45pm (w/Governance Group member, Jenn Ramirez Robson)
- Wednesday, February 16, 5:30-6:15pm (w/COO Director, Andréa Akita)
Application, Application Instructions, and Key Background Documents:
- Communities of Opportunity Governance Group/Advisory Board Application (Google form) or
- Communities of Opportunity Governance Group/Advisory Board Application (word doc)
- Application Instructions
- Board Summary – Communities of Opportunity
- Communities of Opportunity Governance Group Guiding Principles
- King County Boards and Commissions Webpage
PLEASE NOTE: Information provided on application forms will be a public record subject to free and open examination by any person under the Washington State Public Records Act (RCW 42.56.250). However, while the applicant’s name may be disclosed, the applicant’s address, phone number and email address will be redacted.
Appointments to the COO Governance Group/Advisory Board are made by the King County Executive and confirmed by the King County Council.
Questions? Contact COO Director Andréa Akita at email@example.com