Now accepting applications: Best Starts for Kids (BSK) Capacity Building Small Grant, Round II
King County Best Starts for Kids is initiating a Request for Application (RFA) for a Capacity Building Small Grant opportunity for current Best Starts for Kids Providers, prioritizing those who have not received a previous Small Grant award.
This small-grant opportunity is meant to support community-based organizations (CBOs) that are current awardees of the Best Starts for Kids initiative. It gives preference to BSK grantees who have not received a previous Best Starts for Kids (BSK) or COO small grant, but previous small grant awardees are also eligible. The funds will support the infrastructure needed to enhance the CBO’s capacity to provide services and programming. This includes the systems, resources, and processes that sustain the key functions of an organization.
Click here to view the RFA and apply on ZoomGrants by 2:00 p.m. on May 14th, 2021. Partners have to create a log-in to view the RFP.
View this blog post to access the presentation slides and FAQ from the informational webinar held on April 23rd. Unfortunately, the webinar recording did not turn out well due to technical challenges in Zoom.
Highlights about this Request for Application include:
Examples of resources and items that could be supported by this funding opportunity may include, but are not limited to:
- IT equipment (laptops, tablets, electronic devices, software);
- Financial tracking systems;
- Project or program management software or platforms;
- Office equipment (furniture not included); and
- Subscriptions (such as for online communication platforms).
- Consultation and professional services (except those currently offered through the BSK capacity building program. See below for details.)
Items that will not be supported by these funds include:
- Expenses such as payroll, rent, ongoing consumables, utilities, or other indirect costs associated with running the organization.
- Capital expenses like facility repairs, furniture, or property upkeep.
- Advocacy work.
- Capacity building services currently offered through the BSK Capacity Building program. This includes coaching, training, clinics and workshops on the following topic areas: equity and social justice, finance, human resources, organizational development, board development, marketing, legal, data & evaluation, and IT support. However, awardees may work with their current capacity building partners to identify projects or infrastructure that can be funded through these Small Grants.
Applicants may request up to $9,999 in their proposed budget. The amount of funding awarded to each awardee will be determined during the application review. Eligible applicants will be limited to one award per organization. BSK Providers who were awarded a Small Grant award in 2020 are eligible to apply, but priority will be given to applicants who have not received a previous BSK Small Grant award.
Period of Performance
The period of performance of any award resulting from this RFA will begin on the date that the award letter is emailed to the awardee. Funds may be spent following the award letter and up to 90 days after the award funds are issued. Funds must be expended within 90 days after the award funds are issued. Agreements extending the period of performance, if any, will be at the sole discretion of BSK. BSK reserves the right to extend the award period for any time increments BSK deems necessary.
This RFA has an application deadline of 2:00pm on May 14, 2021. The review team will begin reviewing applications on May 17, 2021. Eligible Applicants are encouraged to submit their application through ZoomGrants by the deadline. Applicants may only apply once.
|RFA Release Date||April 15, 2021|
|RFA Information Webinar||April 23, 2021 | 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.|
|Last day to ask Questions||May 12, 2021|
|Applications due||May 14, 2021 | 2:00 p.m.|
|Review of Applications Begins||May 17, 2021|
|Notification of selected Applicants||June 9, 2021|
Dates are subject to change at Best Starts for Kids’ discretion.
Interested parties may submit questions in writing through the Contact Admin tab in ZoomGrants prior to May 12, 2021. The BSK response to questions received will be posted as a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document on ZoomGrants.
If potential Applicants experience technical difficulties with ZoomGrants, please email the RFA Coordinator directly:
Jorji Knickrehm – BSK Capacity Building Program Manager
Applications must be clear, concise, written in English and submitted electronically through ZoomGrants in the order noted.
Applications shall be prepared simply and economically, providing a straightforward and concise but complete and detailed description of the Applicant’s abilities to meet the requirements of this RFA. Emphasis shall be on completeness of content.
Additional details that are critical to know, including Application Requirements, Evaluation Criteria and Award, Invoicing and Reporting, and more will be included in the BSK Capacity Building RFA posted on April 15th as a PDF on ZoomGrants.com.
If you are a currently-funded BSK grantee and would like to access general BSK capacity building, please contact Jorji Knickrehm at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (206) 477-5702.